Saturday, March 23, 2013

2013 Spring Wardrobe // Lily

Afternoon! 
Before we take the kids to the circus, I thought I would drop in and show you what I have been up to lately.
 Well, some of what I have been up to.

I keep alternating between birthday clothing (for lily's themed bday party in May) and spring wardrobe. Sprinkle in a few newborn presents and some fun projects and you've got my general movements in the last two weeks. 

Here  is the accumulation of lily's spring wardrobe at this time. 



I found this fabric for a couple of dollars at the goodwill (aka my new fabric store) and also had the solid peach colored cotton fabric given to me by my lovely mother in law. In this I only used the solid peach for the bow.  It matched SOOO perfectly and added a softer more subtle feeling compared to the brighter orange and green used in the floral print. 

Best part?


It's actually two pieces. 

I love it. 

The top is a pattern purchased on etsy from too sweets patterns. It was a very easy sew and I love how you can choose to keep or leave the keyhole & exchange the drawstring neckline for elastic super easily. You can also play with the placement of the gathered waist to give it different feels, leave the sleeves long or crop them short. I've used heavier fabrics for cold months and this is a really light cotton (?) that is breezy for warm weather. 

The skirt I made pretty simply on my own by measuring 3 rectangles at increasing widths to create tiers. Then I surged them onto a large piece of elastic. I was actually pretty frustrated that I didn't have white on hand and ended up deciding to use black. 

It's a little roomy on her so I may redo it in white and save this for next year. 

Is that getting too crazy picky? 


I created a pattern from a shirt of lily's I'd been given. It had a great shell, but was purple and plaid and way busy. I like this simple one better. The details do enough talking& it works so nicely with the light skirt. 

I plan on making at least one more for the other color scheme I am working on. 
kcw is april 22 this Spring& yesterday I committed. One hour of sewing each day, I can do it! 
 It would be likely to find me working on them at that time.
 If I can wait that long. 



If you follow me on instagram (lovexxmae) then you saw my sketch for it. I had to omit the flutter sleeves per lily's request. I thought they would be perfect for keeping her pale shoulders from burning to bits this summer. I'm desperately splattering her with sunscreen as she runs away most days. 

kids. 



I also need to move the third heart button to the right more. I sewed it on crooked somehow and this drove me bonkers in the photos. 



She's so silly.


Wish me luck in finishing it all! :)

<3

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the colors, the ruffles, beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am super committed to creating most of her clothing this season. I love having something accomplished to add the the linky party!

      Delete
  2. wow. I am impressed! I gave up on attempting to sew for PEOPLE a long time ago when I couldn't get things to actually fit...then I found scrapbooking and it became my obsession -)
    Just stopped by to visit from the Cuddlebug Cuties Sunday Linky Party
    Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have done almost opposite, scrapbooking and crafting are super fun& will always have a place in my space, but sewing is what drives my creativity. I appreciate you coming to check out my work!

      Mae

      Delete
  3. she looks lovely!


    it'd be great if you could check out my blog too?
    rainbowsandbeauty.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Saw you on the Cuddlebug Cuties linky party. Wow! You did an amazing job on the spring wardrobe! Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I appreciate everyone stopping in to take a look. <3

      mae

      Delete
  5. Love the skirt with all those ruffles. The black band looks find and it's hidden anyway, so I would leave it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are probably right. It's just a design element to keep everything white rather than black.. but I am learning not to sweat the small stuff. :)
      Thanks for the feedback!

      Mae

      Delete
  6. They are all lovely! I'm going to have to look into buying that shirt pattern.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love finding out what everyone's go-to patterns are& I'm happy to have one of my own now! I feel so ... seasoned.


      Mae

      Delete
  7. Very impressive. Just right for pretty young girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I feel like the looks have an air of sophistication but still work for my active girl. Thanks for dropping in!

      Mae

      Delete
  8. Ooh these are so pretty! I love that floral print and the peach matches so perfectly! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm awfully excited about creating an entire "look" rather than random pieces. It's helping me to understand my personal style.

      Mae

      Delete
  9. I looooove that self drafters shirt!!!! You should make a pattern pattern for it!! And the skirt is great too :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!